Friday, May 16, 2014

"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouts of joy." Job 8:21


What a week. Not sure I've seen The Lord move so quickly and so mightily as I have this week. Monday we got home from the hospital. I was struggling to get him to take 2ish ounces every three hours. We saw the pediatrician who was iffy about surgery being next week. We moved into the girls house Monday night and we both crashed. I was so thankful to have him home, but also quite overwhelmed by the insane medication schedule, the amount of weight he needed to gain and the logistics of getting surgery scheduled. I knew to immediately surrender every last detail to The Lord. I was so inadequate for this job. 

Tuesday I was taught how to crush and mix his cardiac medications. Kinds of meds you don't want to give anything but the perfect dose of, and I'm mixing it myself. Fantastic. First time I was actually thankful for all those drug calculation tests in nursing school. 

Wednesday we went back to the pediatrician. We also had another volunteer from the states arrive. She grew up in Cochabamba. I quickly put her Spanish and knowledge of the city to work. She's been a huge blessing to Daniel and I! So Wednesday the pediatrician was still iffy about giving us the green light to go back to the cardiologist. He decided to put us on more meds instead. Great. Because 18 different times that I'm medicating the kid throughout the day already isn't enough. But I really trusted this doc and I trust The Lord so I took the additional prescriptions and went on. At this point I was getting him to take a pretty consistent 4 ounces every few hours so we needed more formula. I passed by some baby food and decided what the heck- I'll try any kind of calories at this point. His weight had not changed since Monday. I had envisioned this moment of me putting him on the scale and him being a half a pound bigger. I would then feel like super mom and we'd get surgery scheduled. But none of that happened. We went back home and continued to wait. 

By Thursday I had this kid in a solid routine. I have learned that if I'm tired then I need to sleep when the baby sleeps. Because he's in control of the sleeping hours and it being dark outside may mean nothing to him in regards to bed time. He had become quite the prince at this point. Always wondering where I am and what I'm doing. If I left the room without him on my hip- the prince was not happy. So I'm potentially turning him into a bratty American baby. But heck, the 7 months of life this child has been to, I'd give him whatever he wants forever and forever. 

So today. Friday. We got up to yet again go see the pediatrician. I listened to his lungs the night before and they sounded clear as a bell to me. I was anxious to get him back to the pedi today. By the time we got there, the pedi had already taken the initiative to call and speak with the surgeon- such a blessing! So the green light was given and we were scheduled to be at the cardiology clinic at 5:00 for an appointment. Yeah, 5:00 on a Friday for an appointment. Bolivia is so weird. So we got there and I noticed we were seeing a cardiologist- not the cardiovascular surgeon that was going to be operating. That made me a little upset, but I took and a deep breath and decided to behave in the waiting room. 

The cardiologist called us into his office. Two white girls in their early 20s and a Bolivian baby. You could tell he was a little bewildered. He immediately asked if we had money to pay for this surgery. First question!! Um, yes we do. How? Because we serve an incredibly faithful God! Anymore questions? He precedes to look at the schedule. "I'm sorry, we cannot do surgery until June 16." GELDIWGWNFJEEQOWYRBSK WHAT!! OH NO! I got so upset. I stood up with the baby and attempted to pace in this office with no pacing room. Lord, why why why!!! Katrina (our other volunteer) calmly explained the situation. While I went nearly ballistic. She told him I was here from the states to care for this baby for the sole purpose of surgery. It had already been cancelled once. He lives in a home with a million other kids. Staying healthy until June 16 would be nearly impossible. I started tearing up, held Daniel tight, and looked the doctor straight in the eye. He reached down and made a phone call. A few moments later, the surgeon walked in. Very charming man with a firm handshake who spoke English! He looked at the schedule, looked at me, and said, "how about Thursday?" Oh I wanted to jump into his arms! GOD IS SO GOOD! ALL THE TIME!

From there I got to talk with the surgeon for a bit. He told me someone will need to donate blood. I told him I was O negative and he asked if I would be the one to donate. I would more than love to donate blood to this baby. He went on to tell me that while he would be in ICU, that no family would be allowed. However, he then said he would be willing to make an exception and let me stay with him the whole time! Wow- thank you Jesus! Then be started telling me some scary stuff. Daniel's heart defect is pretty severe. The surgeon expects him to go into heart failure during the first 12 to 48 hours. We talked in greater detail about this, but it was in these moments when my heart took a really hard hit regarding the roller coaster that's ahead. I asked him straight up what this baby's chances are. He told me without hesitation that they are good. I think he could tell I've got some- okay a lot- of skepticism about Bolivian health care. He did a really great job of reassuring me while also being honest of what's ahead. I like this guy. 

Monday evening he will be admitted. First thing Thursday morning is surgery. I'm scared. Actually I'm terrified. But I'm also so overwhelmed by God's sovereignty throughout this whole situation, that I can't help but rejoice and praise The Lord. 

We went by the grocery store tonight and a white lady was leaving as we were walking in. She knew Katrina. She looked at me, down at the baby, and asked, "Are you the girl from Texas and is that the baby needing heart surgery we have been praying for?!" YES! WE ARE! Random lady in the grocery store in Cochabamba, Bolivia. In that moment I was joyfully able to tell her our great news. 

So there it is again. The power of prayer at work. And with that- I realize we are still days away from actually entering into the OR. So please continue to faithfully pray for his health, for his weight, and just for our time together the next few days. While I hated that surgery was cancelled originally, I've treasured the days I've had with this boy just taking care of him at home. Thank you for continuing to walk this road with me, friends. And thank you for celebrating with us in the great news today! 


1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord! We are praying for Daniel daily. Thank you for all your hard work with him.

    ReplyDelete