Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow. Actually, less than 12 hours from now. Everything we have been praying and preparing for. It's tomorrow.

Today has been rather surreal. I first trekked across town to go to the blood bank to donate the blood for his surgery tomorrow. Crazy that that is how it is done here. Actually, not only that, but we also have to go pick the blood up ourselves and bring it to the hospital for the surgery. But I guess they always know they are going to have blood for their patients this way. On the way there I prayed for three specific things…that I wouldn't pass out, that someone there would speak some english, and that I would see an obviously clean needle being used. A guy was rattling off a lot of questions that I was doing my best to answer. Of course when he asked, "Do you do dugs?" (in Spanish)…I didn't quite understand him and hesitated for a looooong time. Fortunately he figured the bewildered look on my face had to do with a lack of understanding, NOT because of street drug habits. He then began speaking in english- thanks God! When I went into the room to donate I closely watched everything being done. A huge sigh of relief came over me when I saw (what looked like) a brand new needle coming at my arm- thanks God! Last time I gave blood, and the time before that, and the time before that, I passed out at the very end of it. I'm always borderline anemic and borderline size eligible for donating, so it isn't odd that this happens. But I really did not want this to happen here, today, in Bolivia. And it didn't- thanks God!

Afterwards, I navigated myself back to the hospital. The looks I get walking around the streets of Cochabamba are hilarious. My blonde hair doesn't help. I can see the thoughts most people are having…does she realize where she is…maybe she's lost…should we help her? 

This afternoon a lot starting happening. Residents, nurses, and other staff kept coming in with consents to be signed and things to tell me about surgery tomorrow. I have learned that being white does not make people assume you do not speak spanish. So here they all came, with their in depth spanish explanations of surgery and tomorrow's process. But God is faithful, and I understood them.

As I started to grow more anxious throughout the day, I decided to cope with netflix. But the baby was not having it. No afternoon nap and was fussy on and off. Not long into my attempt at a movie, I put it on pause and just played with him. That's all he wanted. And it was exactly what I should have been doing to start with. Praying and praising God while playing with the baby- not watching a stupid movie. So that is what we did today. Played, and sang, and cuddled lots. Realizing today was probably going to be the last day I get to hold and bounce him on my knee without wires and tubes all around us. Bittersweet. I teared up frequently today. Both happy tears and sad tears.

Just a little bit ago, a white woman in scrubs poked her head in the door. We spoke to each other a little in spanish but pretty quickly I said, "habla ingles?" She's from Chicago. Yep, she definitely habla ingles. Turns out she was the coordinator from the organization, Solidarity Bridge. They are the ones that are making this entire surgery possible. I knew there was someone, somewhere pulling this all together, but I didn't know details. Well all those details came together when this sweet woman, Jodi, walked into our room. This organization partners with hospitals in Bolivia and Paraguay to provide the medical resources and finances needed for invasive surgeries such as these. I thanked her endlessly. We chatted awhile and I had the opportunity to share with her my connections and the ministry of Casa de Amor. Love when the Lord ties two ends of a story together like this. She then reassured me that his surgeon is the best in Bolivia. He was educated and trained in Belgium, and is absolutely incredible. What a blessing to hear this first hand from someone who has worked with him for years.

Friends, you have faithfully prayed for weeks and weeks now over this boy and entire situation. What a joy it has been to watch God reveal His plan and hear our prayers. So with that, we can rest in the outcome of tomorrow. Because God is good. He is ALWAYS good.

No comments:

Post a Comment