Tuesday, May 13, 2014

It's a 24/7 job!


So as many of you probably saw, we busted the little guy out of the hospital yesterday! I was thrilled to get him out of the same room with rotavirus. However, rotavirus baby sure was a cutie. Actually, not sure I have come across a Bolivian baby that wasn't absolutely adorable. 

Very similar to the US, when the discharge words are uttered, it's still a few hours before you are actually out the door. The Lord continues to provide opportunities to allow me to practice patience. I used to pray for patience, but now I have realized that the Lord knows I am weak in this area. And He's not going to hand any particular fruit of the spirit to me on a silver platter. No. Instead, He is going to continually put me in situations where I have no choice but to be patient. Then maybe, just maybe, one day when it is a choice- I'll naturally act on it. 

We got home and then almost immediately had to turn around to get him to an appointment back in town. However, with Bolivia being…well…Bolivia, truck drivers had decided they wanted to protest about something and they did a phenomenal job of blockading the road starting right about where we live. It was quite the scene. Very peaceful- but there was no getting by in any sort of vehicle. People were having a great time in the middle of the blockaded road though. At one point I looked outside and kid's had started a soccer game in the middle of the street, using the blockades of rocks and thorns as their goals. That made me smile. This culture is so day-to-day that they can make anything out of any situation. We Americans are so futuristic that we would stomp our feet and whine over a blockaded road that was ruining our oh so important plans. But Bolivians choose to play soccer. It's great. 
After a little bit of walk, a trufi ride, and a taxi ride, we made it to the pediatrician and back. The clinic we went to was really nice. I felt like I was back in the states. It was kinda strange actually. Then the doctor spoke decent english. So then I really wondered if we had teleported home. Another difference in this culture- the doctor sat and talked to me for long time before he even looked at the baby. He wanted to hear everything I had to say, what the plans had been for surgery, what we were hoping for, ect. I now understand why each appointment takes forever, but I loved it. He even said he was going to call and speak with the surgeon personally. He thinks next week may be a good possibility as long as we continue doing well health wise and gain a weeee bit more weight! 

He sent me home with lots of meds. Every few hours I have meds due. I'm feeling right at home when it comes to my nursing world. However, my pyxis is my backpack; and my patient is in my care 24/7. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I am tired- really tired. But it's a good tired. Matt Chandler said something at church one time to the affect of, if you aren't going to bed at night exhausted from serving the Lord- then your priorities are not in line. For me, serving the Lord has never looked quite like this. Being the full time caregiver to a sick child in a third world, is honestly not how I have thought I would spend the month of May in 2014. But I love it! I can already see so many areas that the Lord is doing work in me. And I am a broken person, so He has a lot to do. 

Today, we are relaxing. The baby is sleeping (since he prefers to do that during the day instead of at night), and I am enjoying the quiet day. I am not one to like days like this. Just sitting around. But today I am treasuring this time. Because this is truly a 24/7 job. 

My dad returns to the states tomorrow, so please be praying for his travels. It's been a really neat experience having him here. Never thought I would get to travel the world with each of my parents in a matter of months. Please continue to pray for Daniel's weight, that his lungs stay clear, and that we can bypass logistics to get surgery scheduled soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment