Tuesday, January 7, 2014

America's ignorance


HOME! Well almost. Camping out in the LA airport for a few hours. Yesterday we spent the afternoon wondering around and getting lost in Seol, South Korea. Now I'm sitting here in California with thousands of people around me. Each one with their own story. But only a few that can even begin to comprehend the struggle of the other side of the world. 

After two weeks of being in a third world country, I've reached the conclusion that America is just plain ignorant. Not on purpose necessarily, but we just are. Our country has no idea what poor is, what hungry is, what begging is. Yes there is poor here, even poverty. But there's also opportunity. In Cambodia there are boxes serving as homes. There's children that come and grab your arm, point to your water bottle, and ask for a drink. There's women on the streets selling their bodies just so that they won't starve to death. 

I got off the plane here in the states and saw a precious chubby little baby. I didn't see a single chubby baby in Cambodia. I look around now and see things I've never actually seen before. The Lord has truly opened my eyes. You don't know what you don't know. 

I've never appreciated the little amenities of this world until this trip. But not only now do I appreciate these things, I realize the fact that nothing in this world is needed but Jesus. The few Cambodians I met that were believers, even being dirt poor, were far richer than any American I know. 

We are called to love God and love people. My heart has been broken and burdened for a group of people 6,000 miles away from here. A few minutes ago, an airport employee here in LA stopped me and asked if I had just come from Cambodia due to my tshirt. I told her yes and she asked about why I was there. She proceeded to tell me she was from Cambodia and came over after her family was killed by the Khemer Rouge. She couldn't stop thanking me for helping her people. It's so cool when God validates our work and encourages us in these ways. 

So I'm home. Back to school in a few days. But man I pray I don't live another day without the changes that have been made in my heart in these short two weeks. If I were to sum up the biggest thing God has taught me is that NOTHING matters but Jesus. 

Forever grateful to my friends and family that provided the support and offered the prayers that made this trip possible. Today, I'm back in America, but my heart is forever in Southeast Asia. 



1 comment:

  1. Amen sister. So glad you all are home safe but thankful you followed your heart and made a difference in a world outside of our own.

    ReplyDelete