Saturday, March 15, 2014

Someone so small, yet stole my heart so big

Tonight we fly home and I am not at all ready to go. However, it looks like I may be returning soon. But more on that in a minute. God has done so much in the last three days! Thursday morning I spent my time split between the ER and the ICU. There had been a horrific accident the night before. Four were killed, and our ICU patient was the only survivor. They did a craniotomy just a few hours before we arrived that morning. It was incredible to see the staff work so hard with so little resources in order to save this man's life. I love how much more I am reminded to trust the Lord here, in all things. 

That afternoon, Lexi and I went to an orphanage in town. It is an orphanage for babies called Casa de Amor. I walked into a room with 12 infants and toddlers in need of parents. Oh, it was so hard. I went to the corner of the room and picked up a little boy that looked to be maybe two months old. I began talking to one of their volunteers, Hannah, who is from the states. She went on to tell me that the baby I was holding was actually 5 months old and was abandoned about a month ago. After some time in the hospital it was discovered that he has a hole in his heart. He will not live long if he does not get the open heart surgery he needs. My heart broke for this sweet boy. I immediately began to pray about what I could do to help. If anything, I knew I could help raise the thousands and thousands of dollars that are needed before the surgery will even be preformed. I left there very sad, but not hopeless, because I do not serve a hopeless God.

Friday morning we spent a long time talking about all the Lord had done this week, and even though it was Friday, I knew God wasn't done yet. I eagerly went over to the ER to spend our few last hours working with my new friends there. We really did grow close to the staff very quickly. One of the interns, Alejandra, and I had become good friends and it was so cool to see the Lord bless our ability to communicate back and forth when caring for patients, even though we spoke different languages. It was hard to say goodbye, but there's something sweet about that in and of itself. If it were easy to leave, then I would question how much my heart had changed during my time here. 

So more on this sweet baby. This morning we got up and went back to the orphanage. I cherished every second I had with him and even learned how to change a cloth diaper! However, I'm going to stick with pampers :) I talked with Hannah in greater detail about baby D and what his future looked like. Ideally, surgery would take place in May. But there is concern over cost and the intensity of care that he will need during that time. That's when it hit me. I have 3 weeks off in May! I was potentially going to Haiti for another medical trip, but just wasn't at peace about committing until after I got home for Bolivia. This may be why. Hannah and I discussed the idea of me returning so that he could have surgery and I could provide that care he will need during that time. We both got so excited and are staying in touch to see if this is something that God is going to turn into a reality. So please be praying about this! About if I am to return. For the funds for me to return and for the baby's surgery. And especially for his health leading up to it. 

If we are being honest, what I wish more than anything is that I could adopt him. Yes, 20 year old single me- adopt him. But that is not reality right now. The reality is that there is a sick orphaned child in need of a loving mom to care for him, and if for just 3 weeks, I can help with that, then I am more than willing. So we will see what the Lord does. I have never felt love so strong for a child as I did today when rocking him to sleep. I really can't explain it. It was this intense and overwhelming feeling of, I would do anything for you- anything to save your life. I held him close, I told him I loved him, I prayed for him and I cried as I put him down. I think because of the unknown of what is next for him. But I am holding tight to the hope we are promised as children of God. Whether or not I get to return and be with this baby again is up to the Lord. But regardless, I know that he is loved and cared for. Thanks to an incredible woman name Jennifer, who obediently oversees and runs the orphanage, and because we serve a God who is for the orphaned and the widowed. A God that does not abandon His children. Even those that seem and are abandoned by this world. 
Thank you, friends and family, for your prayers and kind words as Lexi and I have served this week in Bolivia. It has been beyond incredible. Please continue to pray for the work and ministry that is done though Hospital of Hope and especially for baby D, and whatever his future holds.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! My name is Denise and I'm the Child Sponsorship Coordinator for CDA! I'm excited to meet you! Thank you for loving on baby D and visiting CDA! If once you are in the States again you want a CDA contact person just email me. I live in Indiana. My email is Denise@casadeamor.org.

    ReplyDelete