Sunday, March 9, 2014

Developing countries feel more like home


Well, Lexi and I managed to traverse South America, make all four flights, and arrived in Bolivia early yesterday morning. Bouncing between American, Mexico, Panama, and two Bolivian airports was super adventurous. Literally every stop, our terminal and/or gate would be changed from the original, so we started joking that when we got off a plane we got to play "Guess That Terminal!" We had some hilarious conversations on each plane ride. It's funny because Lexi is Spanish so she speaks and understands the language pretty well. I, on the other hand, know random words, so I just throw them together and start conversation like a crazy person. Then our new hispanic friend and Lexi will exchange a few words and start cracking up laughing. The transportation system here is also a riot! We take trufis everywhere. Google what a trufi is. Every instinct in you tells you NOT to get into a vehicle such as that. But here, we pack about 18 people into one and off you go! For about half of 1 USD, you reach your destination. It's super fun!

Early yesterday morning we were greeted by my dear friend, Kayla Cook. Kayla was a counselor of mine years ago at Sky Ranch. She and her husband are here in Bolivia teaching at an international Christian school for 10 months. So we are staying with them, and traveling to the local hospital each day to work. Yesterday, Kayla turned to me and asked, "Does it feel so weird to be in a foreign country? To be in Bolivia?" And my response was a quick no. It doesn't feel weird. Not even a little bit. It feels so right. I told Kayla that developing countries honestly feel more like home than the states does now. I don't speak the language well (not at all in Cambodia!), I don't look like the people, I don't know cultural norms, yet I feel at home. How can that be? The answer is obvious. The Lord is transforming my heart in big ways. He is teaching me that my comfort, my normal, my preferences do not matter, and do not define home. There's that saying, that "Home is where the heart is," and I don't at all disagree with that. If my heart is founded in the Lord, then anywhere He sends me is home. 

I have never been one to love crowds or busy cities. But I am beginning to love them. Why? My friend Megan Pieper put it this way…if we are made in the image of God, then more people means more image of God per square foot. SO TRUE! I still wouldn't naturally choose to live in a crowded, dirty city of an underdeveloped country, but that's the thing about choices. Submission to Christ means setting down the choices we have, in order to go and do. If Jesus had the choice, saving humanity probably would not have been done so through an awful death on a cross. But Jesus loved His father more than He valued His choices, so He went. 

That's why both poverty stricken Cambodia and Bolivia feel like home. Because for once, I set down my wants and concerns, to chase after an opportunity to be Jesus to others. Home is meant to be a place where love is endlessly exchanged amongst family members. Where parents give 18 years minimum of their lives to raise their kids. It's where laughter is shared, and even tears are shed. But it's all done so because of love. And it's all because of the one who is love- Jesus. 

What if our world operated this way? What if love, if Jesus, was the central theme and core foundation for all that we did. When I am on trips like these, that's the case for me, the majority of the time. I am not perfect by any means. But when I am on the other side of the world, caring for people, Jesus is never far from my mind and my heart feels so full. But when I am "home"- He is easily forgotten. I quickly resort back to my self centered, anxious driven self. I want to figure out how to be the person I am here at home too. And I know the answer. It's the power of the Holy Spirit. Here I am so weak- back to not knowing the language, culture, transportation system, ect- that I literally have to rely on the Spirit for every move I make and for every patient encounter. But at home I know too much. So pride takes over real quick. 

This afternoon we worked in the Emergency Room at the hospital. It has 3 beds. And very few supplies. The hospital has a total of about 20 beds, including an ICU, and an OR. Tomorrow morning we are scrubbing in on a C-section, so super pumped for that! The hospital staff is great. But things are definitely different. They were confused when I asked about the concept of a sterile field. The staff is spanish speaking only, so they think I am hilarious with my attempt to speak it. For example today I attempted to say, "I am hungry" but said, "I have a man." Then I asked a mom how many months her baby was, but I really said, "How many tables is your baby?" So I am definitely bringing entertainment to the Bolivian community! Please continue praying for Lexi and I, as we travel and work. Pray that all we do is Kingdom building, and that we keep an eternal mindset when serving the Lord. Much love from Bolivia! 

No comments:

Post a Comment