Saturday, December 28, 2013

The need for Him is so real


Oh. My. Goodness. The depravity of this city is unbelievable. Pictures I googled before coming here just did not do it justice. 

So we spent the day in and around Phnom Penh, doing tourist like stuff. Probably wise for us to take a day recovering from jet lag before taking other peoples lives into our hands, ya know. We started our morning at the Genocidal Killing Fields memorial and museums. In 1975...just a few years ago...millions of innocent Cambodians were captured and killed by a genocidal regime. So many children were beaten to death. There's this tree they took us to- it's where infants were hung and smashed against it. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON HERE!? Not only did this all actually happen...but it just happened! A girl came up to me and asked, "How do we even begin to fix our horrific world?" To that I replied, "We don't. We can't. The battle has already been won, we simply love and spread the gospel. Jesus is the only answer." I think she was taken aback by what seemed to be a passive and non-tangible solution. And I'm not a passive person. But when you think about it, spreading the gospel and loving others is not passive in the least. It's the most productive thing we as Christians can do. It's ETERNALLY productive. 

As we drove around the city we went past slum after slum after slum. With little shops set up out front, it's the family's only hope of making any sort of money. However, never did I see customers. There are children running around everywhere. Kids as young as two years old with no adult in sight. Not sure if they are orphaned, or what. Then again and again I saw kids making toys out of shoes (if they had them) in order to entertain themselves. 

So here's the deal. I have grown up in the suburban bubble. I attend the Christian bubble college. We just had Christmas. Which we all know in the states is the most commercialized and ridiculous time of year for Americans. So I come from there to this. My jaw is dropped. My heart is hurting. And I'm begging Jesus to return. 

If you have been to Africa, Asia, any developing country- you understand where I'm coming from in this moment. However if you have not, I encourage and challenge you to pray about where The Lord might have you go. I truly believe there are countries like this one to humble countries like ours. So come, be humbled. Being in a place like this makes you run to Jesus faster than you've ever run before. This place reinforces that He is truly the only hope. 

Tomorrow is the first clinic day, so we will see what the big guy has got in store. From what I'm feeling tonight, I have a hunch He's going to keep up the awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping, pace. And I'm pumped. 

(Below is a precious little boy working with his grandpa this morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment